Each year that passes by with chronic pain,I learn more about how to manage life in the midst of limitations. Here is what I learned in 2015.
- Seasons of chronic pain do shift and change. Some days are better than others, and the worst days do not always stay the worst days.
- Quitting a job is not the end of the world. Take some rest, and you may get another chance later.
- Life is so much better when you live the life you have instead of trying to live the life you wish you could have.
- Careful pacing makes life slower, but so much better.
- Ordering all of your groceries and household products online is an amazing way to save energy for other things. Use your spoons on the things that matter.
- Instead of saying “Sorry” for your pain and limitations, say “Thank you” for the help people give you.
- Lots of small coping skills can add up to significant pain management. Don’t overlook “little” things like ice and heat, getting enough rest, distraction, over-the-counter meds, etc…
- It’s OK, actually sometimes it’s better, to clean the kitchen tomorrow.
- Chronic pain changes your life, but it doesn’t have to ruin it.
Want to stay connected with Life in Slow Motion? Click here to Follow Life in Slow Motion on Facebook for blog posts and other original content.