Counting Down to the New Year is a series of 12 posts in which I reflect on 2015 and prepare for 2016.
Plans and lists may be some of my favorite things. Maybe it is the sense of control and mastery they give me. Perhaps I love to look back at everything I have crossed out to see that I accomplished what I set out to do. Or maybe it is the way they focus me in on the things that I believe to be most important. Plans and lists both move me forward as well as help me to remain in the moment.
My mind has been a bit of a scattered blur recently. It has been hard to know what to focus on and what to leave to the side. I also have a huge change coming up, as I just accepted a new job that I will start towards the end of the month. I will be working more hours a week than before, and I am anticipating how life will change and how I will manage the increase in my schedule.
Excitement and nervousness.
It would be easy for me to get caught up in a whirlwind of preparing for a new job and a new schedule. I could easily spend the rest of the month feeling scattered, anxious, and rushed. Instead, I want to make the best of the rest of 2015.
- Sleep and Rest as Much as Possible: I always struggle with tiredness, and recently my sleep schedule has been a little off. I keep waking up before I want to but still going to bed at the same time. I plan to not add anything too active to my schedule for the month of December so I can get as much rest as possible.
- Finish My Read the Bible in a Year: This year is the first time I have successfully completed a plan to read through the Bible in a year – or, I will finish if I keep it going this month. I’m not planning to do it again next year, but it was helpful to read books I don’t take the time to go through. To finish by the end of the year, I still have half of I Chronicles and all of II Chronicles, Lamentations, and Daniel.
- Read 2 Books for Fun: Over the past few months, I have been getting back into reading more. I love searching for the perfect book and not being able to put it down when I find it. I just finish The Goldfinch, and it was probably my favorite book I’ve read in a long time. I’m in the middle of One Thousand Gifts (liking it fairly well so far), and I have Between the World and Me, An Ember in the Ashes, Furiously Happy and The Magicians, on my library hold list.
- Read 2 Books for Work: I keep planning to set aside more time to read for work. Especially since I will be starting a new job soon, I really want to brush up on some counseling reading. I don’t have any specific books on my list, so coming up with a few will be my first task.
- Go Out to Eat for the Holidays: We will not be traveling over Christmas or New Years, so I want to plan a few fun things to do around home. One of these things will definitely be going out to eat, if I can find enough spoons for it. Every once and awhile we pick a fancy restaurant to try, and around Christmas time seems like the perfect time to do that.
- Send out Two Book Proposals: I have definitely lost major steam with the book proposals. They are extremely time intensive to write up, and each place seems to want a different format with different content. I haven’t sent any out since the initial few, and sending two out in the month of December seems like a manageable goal.
- Book Editing: I still have editing and improvements that I can make on many of the chapters. I would like to set aside at least three days in the month of December to work on this.
- Cook a Fancy (EASY) Dinner: Dinner around these parts is typically something from the crockpot, an easy one dish meal, or something only semi-tasty. I hope to have time over the holidays to make something fancy and delicious just for fun.
- Prepare a Few Easy Freezer Meals: If I have time and the spoons, I would love to prepare a few freezer meals to have for when I start my job. I think this would be manageable if I have all the ingredients delivered from the local grocery store.
- Watch All Available Episodes of Season 5 The Walking Dead: Over Christmas, this will be happening, and I can’t wait!
- Make My Exercises a Priority: I have been trying to use a large percentage of my points towards my exercises, which is hard in the moment, but better in the long run. If I get to choose between other non-necessary activities and my exercises, I have been trying to choose my exercises. I hope to be really disciplined about this in the month of December.
- Keep Up With Blogging!: Blogging, blogging and more blogging!
It’s funny to see how some parts of my list this year turned out so similar to my list from last year. I guess I really am the same person.
How do you plan to make the best of the rest of the year?